Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sick Boy; Hypocrite

Well, the pedi said that Caleb has an ear infection (right ear again). No surprise there. But she did hear some wheezing while listening to his lungs, which was a surprise. She told us to give HIM a breathing treatment each day, too--but his should just be 3 ml of saline. So it's more like a humidifier than medicine.

Caleb was really acting a lot better by the time we went to the doctor yesterday. He was playful and picking on his brother again, which was a really good sign. :) He took a good nap when we got home. I usually take him to church with me on Wednesday nights, but I left him home with Scott so he could get to bed early.

Poor Scott. During the 2.5 hours I was gone, he had to deal with a very sick boy. Caleb started throwing up shortly after I left, and he ended up getting sick just about every hour after that until 12:30. After that, he just couldn't sleep. He kept wanting to drink, but I knew from experience if he drank too much, he'd just lose it. So I gave him sips of Gatorade throughout the night, one tablespoon at a time.

Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep last night.

****************************
It's amazing how quickly I become a hypocrite when my kids get sick. Case in point:

Normally I try hard to steer away from artificial flavors and chemicals in food. But when filling Caleb's antibiotic, I'm quick to ask, "Can you add bubblegum flavoring to that?"

Normally I don't like Caleb to watch much TV. We make it through about 3 days a week with no TV at all, and on the days he does watch it, it is usually while I am getting a shower in the morning or when I'm fixing dinner at night. We've really worked hard to cut down on the TV time. But when he's sick, he is plopped in front of the TV almost all day. It keeps him distracted from how bad he feels.

Normally I don't allow Caleb to have sugary drinks. He gets one cup of juice every day, which is actually about 2 ounces of juice mixed with 8 ounces of water and a dropper full of liquid vitamins with iron. But when he's sick, he gets to drink sugary Gatorade (Pedialyte is my first choice for him, but sometimes he can't stomach it).

I guess when our kids get sick, we go into survival mode.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Eeewww! No fun Tiffany. Poor thing...I guess ut's a good thing you didn't take him to church with you. I'll be praying for them to get better.

I asked Ryan the other night, "if we lose a night of sleep we really do LOSE it. It's not like we ever gain a extra night." One day we will have sleep again. Were we this sick as kids? I don't recall me and my siblings being sick much. Maybe I just didn't pay attention