Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Catching Up

Last week was a hectic week. We spent many hours (Wed, Thurs, and Fri) working up at the church, getting some new classrooms ready for Sunday morning. I didn't really feel like I had any downtime during the week.

**************************************
On Friday night, we decided to go to IKEA. Scott usually ends up going into the office these days by 6:30, so he often gets home by 3:30 (he rarely takes a lunch). That makes it nice, since it gives us more family time in the evening. So when Caleb got up from his nap around 4:30, we took off. I'd been wanting to go to IKEA for awhile and get some new glass jars for food storage. I've bought tons of beans, quinoa, flax seed, and other cool stuff that needs a nice home.

The boys did really well at the store (it's really a fun place for kids), but by the time we got out of there it was already 6:45. We needed food. Caleb still is not a good eater, so we are limited as to what we can get him at a restaurant. One thing that is pretty failsafe is a breakfast place--he loves pancakes and bacon! I knew Scott had wanted to try The Original Pancake House, so I suggested we head over there. Caleb was all excited to have pancakes for dinner. We pull up to the restaurant and....see that it's only open for breakfast and lunch. Pbbbbbbbbbbbbt!

We were all really craving breakfast food at that point, so Scott decided to head for Breadwinner's. That is hands-down one of my favorite places to eat! We go there every couple of months for a special breakfast. They have yummy homemade breads, great scrambles, wonderful coffee....my mouth is watering just thinking about it! We had never been there at night, but we were pretty sure they served breakfast all day.

Um, wrong. We got inside and I immediately did a double-take when I saw the white tablecloths out. We got seated, and the host handed us a special Valentine's weekend menu--dinner for 2 (complete with lobster, steak, and wine) for $100! Uh...not exactly the meal we had planned. I didn't see breakfast food in our future at that point. Sure enough, they don't serve breakfast at night.

We stuck around, though, and I'm glad we did. I had a wonderful (albeit a little pricey) red bell pepper filled with ratatouille, served with artichoke mashed potatoes and spinach. YUM! I wish Scott would eat stuff like that. He had chicken marsala or something like that. Something carnivorous. ;) Caleb had a grilled cheese sandwich with fruit. Or rather, that was what was served to him. I think he ended up taking ONE bite of the grilled cheese and declared that he was done. Sigh.

Caleb surprised me during dinner. He said, "Mommy, I need to go potty." Well, okay! He hadn't used a public restroom before, other than the kid-sized ones at church. I took him into the bathroom and explained that these potties were big, but that I'd hold on to him. He had no problem at all with it!

By the time we got home on Friday night, the kids had both fallen asleep in the car. We tucked them into bed and called it a night.

***********************************************
On Saturday, we went to the mall. I had several things I needed to get and stuff to return. We ended up eating out AGAIN, but I'm not complaining. This time it was The Cheesecake Factory, another favorite. Scott was less than thrilled when he saw that I'd selected "first available" seating and our hostess led us to a table outside. But it was a beautiful brisk day, and the heaters were warming up the patio. All was well... until it started to rain. Scott just got this "I told you so" look on his face. Hmph.

Caleb surprised me again during lunch (which he actually ate, because TCF serves bacon and bread) when he told me he needed to potty. He went again (on a big potty) with no problems.

************************************************
Sunday was soooo busy. I worked both services in the morning at church, which meant I was there from 8:45 until about 1:15. We came home, ate lunch, got the kids to take naps, and then Caleb and I headed back up the the church. It was a big night, since my T&T kids were putting on a skit for their parents that week. All went well, but I must admit I was nervous, and on top of that I hadn't felt well all day due to a lingering headache. I was glad to get home that night and get to bed!

(Sunday was also my mom's birthday. Happy birthday, Mom!)

*************************************************
On Monday, we had a momentous day. CALEB ATE A PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICH! Yes, I know that those of you with *normal* kids are thinking that this is trivial news. But when it comes to eating, Caleb is...special.

We've been reading a Dora book lately at nighttime that references a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and Caleb said on Sunday night that he would be willing to try one. Really?? This from the boy who never wants to try anything new (unless it is some form of chocolate). So on Monday at lunch, I took him up on it. I got him all psyched up, and he actually liked it. He ate the whole thing, and he asked for another one that night!

I took a picture to get proof of the event, just in case it never happened again.

No comments: