Monday, July 20, 2009

Recipe: Frittata

For Monday night's dinner, I made a frittata. I know, I am always making breakfast foods for dinner, but I love them! I have made frittatas a few times before based on this recipe from Tyler's Ultimate on Food Network. I feel like I've finally tweaked it and "healthified" it enough now, so here's a copy of Tyler's recipe with my changes. It really turned out well! I wish I'd thought to take pictures...

Ingredients
  • 6 egg whites, 4 whole eggs
  • 2 tablespoons milk (I used 1%)
  • 1 cup grated cheese (I usually use 2% cheddar, but any cheese is fine)
  • Kosher salt and ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 4 small potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
  • 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (I love the baby bella mushrooms)
  • 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cheese, salt, and pepper until foamy. Set aside.

3. Heat olive oil in a cast iron or other oven-safe pan over medium heat. Add the onion, potatoes, and mushrooms and cook thoroughly.

4. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Pull the edges away from the sides of the pan with a spatula so the eggs flow to the bottom of the pan.

5. After the frittata is about halfway set, transfer the pan to the heated oven. Bake for 10 minutes until puffed and golden.

6. Cut it up like a pizza, and shower slices with with grated Parmesan. Serve with some low-fat sour cream or plain yogurt if you'd like.

No comments: