Sunday, January 4, 2009

Cloth Diaper Order

After using gdiapers for a few months (with and without cloth inserts), I've decided that it's time to try something new. So, I hit the internet and spent many hours over many nights pouring through the options.

HOLY COW, there are so many choices!

You've got prefolds, fitteds, covers, all-in-ones, and pocket diapers. When you decide what you want to try, you then have to decide what type--do you want all cotton? Organic cotton? Hemp? Bamboo? Velour? Fleece? Wool? The options go on and on.

After my research, here's what I decided to purchase and trial:
  • 2 Sposo-easy all-in-one diapers
  • 7 Dream Eze organic cotton fitted diapers
  • 5 Tiny Tush cotton fitted diapers
  • 2 All-together cotton fitted diapers
  • 2 Imse Vimse organic cotton covers
  • 1 Imse Vimse organic wool cover
  • 1 Aristocrat organic wool cover
I also finally bought some training pants for Caleb so I can get that boy out of disposable pull-ups. I hate those things! I'm ready for him to be potty trained. I bought 6 of the Imse Vimse organic cotton trainers (outer and inner layers of cotton, with a waterproof PUL layer in the middle).

Here are the factors that influenced my decisions:

  • All-in-ones: I wanted to try the Sposo Easy all-in-ones (AIO) because they are just supposed to be the best and easiest thing out there. They go on just like a disposable diaper, except they have either snap or velcro closures. The inside is super-comfy cotton. You can buy it in organic cotton, but it's an extra $4 per diaper, and I didn't spring for that this time. The best thing is that there is no assembly required since it's all-in-one!

  • Fabric: I did not want anything but cotton next to my baby's bottom. I think it's the best thing for his skin. Cotton cleans up easier and stays softer than other materials. Also, I have some sensory issues, and I just get the heebie-jeebies when I touch certain materials (like velour, fleece, some polyester, etc.). So I stayed away from these materials for my own sake as much as Isaac's! I also am mindful that Caleb is very sensitive to polyester and synthetics (his skin turns bright red when his skin rubs against these fabrics--it's better now than when he was a baby, but still is an issue). I want to keep these synthetics away from Isaac, too, even though he hasn't had any problems yet (and remembering that I can use these cloth diapers for the next baby, who may have skin issues like Caleb).
  • Fitted diapers: Fitted diapers are basically what you would think of when you think of cloth diapers, but they are already "fitted" into the shape of a diaper, and they close with
    velcro or snaps so none of those pins are necessary. I chose some that are made of all cotton, but you can get them in hemp, fleece, velour, microfiber, or bamboo. They require a waterproof cover over them. I chose to go with fitteds rather than prefolds, which you have to fold to fit your baby and then pin together. Who has the time for that? If you do, more power to ya!

  • Covers: Covers are waterproof and go over a fitted diaper. I never thought I would get wool covers while living in Texas, but I did! After researching, they are the only natural, breathable option for covers out there. And they seem great for overnight--
    wool can soak up a ton of liquid and not feel wet. I also got some organic cotton covers, which are cotton on the outside and a wipe-off PUL on the inside. I debated about that PUL layer, but it won't touch Isaac's skin (the fitted will), so I don't think it will be a big deal. You can use covers a few times before washing. Wool covers can be used for a couple of WEEKS between washings! How crazy is that!






No comments: