Sunday, May 31, 2009

Just Another Manic Sunday

Ahh. The end of another crazy day. On Sundays, I work at our church during the first worship service. Typically I'm able to actually go to worship at the second (and last) service time, but today I volunteered to help out in Isaac's classroom because they needed an extra teacher. I was happy to do so! Isaac's going through an I-want-Mommy-with-me-every-second-of-the-day phase. Realizing that someday he'll be a teenager and want nothing at all to do with me, I'll take the attention while I can get it. :)

After church, Scott had a meeting from 1-4. He's going to be a camp counselor again this year (I think this is his third time to go), and they had some CPR training and other stuff. So while he stayed at church, I took the kids home for a quick lunch and nap time. I settled the kids into their chairs and put some food in front of them, and I had to leave the room for a minute. As soon as I left, Isaac started crying. I heard Caleb say in (his attempt at) a deep voice, "Attention, Isaac. Please stop crying. Attention, Isaac." Where does he get stuff like this? Oh, it was hysterical.

I hurried the kids through lunch, but it was still after 2 by the time they finished. I put Caleb in his bed, and then it took me about 15 minutes or so to get Isaac asleep and in his crib. Caleb didn't actually fall asleep--he just stayed in his room and talked to himself (as usual). At one point I heard a crash, and I went in to investigate. I opened the door and looked in Caleb's bed, but he wasn't there. I looked all around the room (it's not that big, folks), but I didn't see him. "Caleb?" I said. Then I saw a pair of feet start to inch out from under the bed. Caleb worked his way out and looked at me sheepishly. "My Mack fell down, Mommy." (He had been playing with his Mack truck toy in bed, and I guess it had fallen.)

Isaac woke up crying around 3:15, which was good and bad. Bad because he didn't get a very long nap, but good because we needed to get going anyway. I was due to be back at church again from 4-6 to help at a party honoring all of our youth workers. So I packed the kids up and headed back to church.

The party went great, and I think everyone had a lot of fun. Those youth help us so much by volunteering in children's ministries! I think it is so important for kids to learn how to serve at a young age. It's too easy for teenagers especially to think that the world revolves around them and their problems. Serving helps them realize that's just not true!

Scott stayed at the party with me until 6, then he took the kids home while I helped clean up a little bit. Caleb fell sound asleep on the way home! Scott carried him in and put him on the bottom of the stairs to take off his shoes, and Caleb just fell over sideways and went back to sleep. He stayed there the whole time Isaac ate dinner and didn't wake up at all when I got home--not even when I took pictures of him. :)



Does that look comfortable to you? (And yes, I think he's been wearing this shirt in almost every picture I've taken recently. No, it's not the only shirt he owns--it's probably just the one that's always at the top of his clean laundry pile!)

He stayed there until about 7, when I scooped him up, changed him, and put him in bed. He's dirty and sweaty and smells like a boy from playing outside at church 3 times today, but he was just too worn out to take a bath tonight. No dinner, either!

No comments: