Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Yummy Turkey Burgers

We had a neighborhood party on Saturday. It was held at our community pool (which we have never used--I'm a little frightened of how well it's taken care of--or not taken care of), and the HOA board had arranged for the folks from Mooyah to cater it for us. I'd never had a Mooyah burger before, and I'm not really a big burger fan to begin with (I probably have a real beef hamburger about 3 times a year), but boy howdy it was good. We filled out a slip of paper indicating what kind of toppings we wanted on it (Scott and I both chose a burger with cheese, sauteed mushrooms, lettuce, and A1 sauce), and they made it to order with the mondo grills they brought to the poolside. I don't think I've ever put sauteed mushrooms on a burger before, but I loved it!

So today when I was at Kroger, I decided to pick up the "fixins" for turkey burgers. (Any time I find a recipe I like, I try to "healthify" it as much as possible, which means lean turkey and not beef.) I stayed inside and sauteed some onions and mushrooms while Scott went outside to grill the burgers (just ground turkey mixed with a bit of onion powder, garlic, and pepper). I also sliced up some zucchini and squash for him to throw on the grill, and that made a great side dish. We plopped the meat on whole-grain buns, put slices of cheese on them, piled the onions and mushrooms on top, and dug in. Mmmmmmmmmm. We'll be doing that again. Soon.

I also felt like baking today, and I made a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and some chocolate chip banana bread. These are two of my absolute favorite recipes! (Note: the bread calls for oil, which I replace with applesauce, and I use all whole wheat flour instead of half wheat/half white. Turns out great every time! I've made muffins from it, too, but I think I like the bread better.)

No comments: