Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Baby Food

Isaac is so different from Caleb. He likes just about every food we give him. Caleb at this age had already developed dislikes for several foods. I blame myself--when I was pregnant with Caleb, all I wanted to eat was McDonald's cheeseburgers and turkey bacon sandwiches! I was a much healthier eater with Isaac.

So, Isaac is starting out his adventures in food very differently. We started him on all organic foods, with added probiotics and/or DHA when available. Caleb never had any of that stuff.

I started making my own baby food last month. It's saving a ton of money! I don't buy all organic, but I try to when I can. I only buy premade baby food occassionally, and when I do I like the organic Happy Baby frozen foods. (There are BOGO coupons for Happy Baby on the Happy Bellies cereal cans, so it's affordable.) I have made my own squash and sweet potatoes supply, and today I made applesauce and blueberry puree. I buy fresh bananas and avocados--it doesn't get any easier than that, since all you have to do is mush them up with a fork or stick them in the food processor. I have some peas and green beans I need to cook and puree.

It is oddly satisfying to make your own baby food.

For my own benefit, here's a list of foods that Isaac eats and enjoys:

  • Brown rice, oatmeal, and quinoa cereals
  • Bananas
  • Avocados
  • Applesauce (regular and cinammon; he likes it mixed with other food better than by itself)
  • Squash
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Cheerios
  • Strawberry/apple puffs
  • Shredded cheese (mild or sharp cheddar)
  • Green beans
  • Peas
  • Spinach
  • Pears
  • Carrots
  • Mango
  • Black beans
  • Egg yolks--he didn't like this in chunks, but will try it pureed

I need to try these over the next couple of weeks:

  • Chicken
  • Turkey
  • Ground beef
  • Yogurt
  • Grapes (can freeze them and put them in a mesh baby feeder, or peel and cut into quarters)

I am going to buy one of those 2-tier steamers. Today I used the little collapsible steamer for the first time, and it worked okay, but not great.

Things I learned today to remember next time:

  • For blueberries, bring the water to a boil, add blueberries, and immediately turn down the heat. Let the blueberries simmer in the hot water for 15 minutes. I kept the water boiling when I made them today, and the blueberries broke apart and drained into the water.
  • For apples, dice them very small so they'll cook faster. I think it took about 45 minutes to steam my 6 apples today! I thought it would only take about 20 minutes. Also, make more for myself! The apples were SO good and smelled wonderful while they were cooking. I kept "testing" them. ;)

No comments: